Monday, June 28, 2010


Dad-Is this a mule deer or elk?
How bout this?





Yesterday we also saw a bald eagles nest with a bald eagle in it (this got the americans very excited)
and lots of little gophers-not the smartest animals we've encountered.
Really there is so much wildlife here it's getting a little silly. Dilly Is even napping and told us only to wake her up for something really exciting-like a wolf or bear.



We've had some really nice drives through the park, the landscape changes from dense pine forests with craggy outcroppings and waterfalls to strange plains that look like moon-scapes with smoking springs and geysers and noxious smells. Sometimes you can see the animals wandering amids the steam. Sometimes they fall through the thin crust of the land around the springs into the boiling water a ranger told us.

Here's a picture of blue star hot spring that has the remains of buffalo bones in it.



Dill also wants me to mention the Park lodges (If she thinks were upgrading from the campsite she going to be disappointed) They are very nice, huge log buildings the fireplaces as big as small houses. Pat is very pleased with the washrooms as well.
Dill and Pat whent in for a cup of tea in the lounge but as I've gone a little native I though I just better stay outside with real outdoors people. I heard Pat saying we should do some laundry as she's wore the same jeans 3 times in eight days which Dill said was disgusting-I'm afraid for them to find out I'm still wearning the same pants I've had on since we left guelph!
Pat and I have a long walk around the geysers in the vicinity of old faithful and snuck in with a tour group to get some explanations on the volcanic activity going on below the landscape of yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment